Ogutu, P. L. -(Chairperson)
Angwenyi, G. N.
Mkandawire, F. L.
The Department of Agriculture is structured and operated on
the belief that human beings are the custodians of the earth
and its environment. Humans, therefore, have the primary
responsibility to make a positive contribution to the development
of Agriculture, particularly in the areas of resource conservation,
food production, poverty alleviation, and environmentally
sustainable development. It is our belief that Agriculture is a God
instituted activity. Agriculture majors are trained to appreciate
the value of the call to till the land, tend livestock, promote
sustainable agricultural resource management, promote equity
in access to food, alleviate poverty, accelerate economic
development and be successful stewards.
The mission of the Department is to promote sustainable
Agriculture to prepare students for service to God and
The vision of the Department is to provide the best program in
Agriculture in the region.
The Agriculture Department strives to implement the following
A. General Objectives
1. To inculcate in the students sound knowledge of Agricultural
Sciences and natural resource management.
2. To prepare students to become competent skilled
agricultural managers or entrepreneurs in private and public
3. To equip students with moral aptitudes for environmental
conservation, natural resource utilization, and poverty
4. To prepare students for advanced studies, research and
B. Specific Objectives
1. To equip students with agricultural research skills and its
practice in society.
2. To prepare students for advanced studies, research and
3. To prepare students for careers in food production,
plantation management, floriculture industry and Agricultural
development programmes with Non-Governmental
Organisations (NGOs), international organizations and
other agri-business sectors.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOME
A graduate of the Department of Agriculture should be to:
1. Define the term agriculture;
2. Name and explain different types of agriculture;
3. Explain stages of agricultural development in human
4. Analyse the contribution of agriculture to the social, political
and economic stability of human society;
5. Explain the role of agriculture in community, national and
global economic development;
6. Discuss the evolution of agricultural systems and technology
in the development of human society;
7. Identify ecological zones suitable for specific types of
8. Promote and market agricultural products;
9. Prepare and store animal feeds for different seasons of the
10. Experiment on ways to improve agricultural sectors of
various human society;
11. Carry out scientific research to solve agricultural problems
and improve on agricultural production;
12. Control pests using natural and commercial insecticides;
13. Design and construct irrigation schemes for crop